MY WORLD IS EMPTY. . .
‘my world is empty without you’ [ 2008/2009 ]
“..the show made me notice the beauty and cinematic elegance of everyday life itself” – SuitYourself Magazine
The first subtlemob was created as part of this piece.
Originally commissioned by
What happens when everyone in the city is listening to the same song?
Wearing headphones, you begin to travel across the city, the soundtrack in your ears turning the world around into your personal cinema. Suddenly a stranger stops you and puts a hand on your shoulder. Their lips don’t move but in your ears you can somehow hear their voice. It feels like telepathy as they begin to speak the words to the song that’s playing in their head…
You continue to move across the city, sometimes guided, sometimes alone; as events unfold in front of you it becomes harder to tell which are staged and which are real.
- it was always going to be about making something that would be invisible.
- at first i imagined i was trying to create cinema without using cameras or screens, in the end i think i might have made an opera without a stage or libretto.
- a soundtrack controlled by satellite positioning, a mixture of trained and untrained performers, wireless transmitters held together with tape, the british weather . . . it was always going to be a risky project.
- this simple restaging of the world took a lot more work than i imagined, but i’ve had the luxury of working with a group of incredible artists.
- i hope they don’t mind that in the end we have something that’s almost impossible to see . . .
SOUNDTRACK BY DUNCAN SPEAKMAN SARAH ANDERSON
DEVISED AND PERFORMED WITH TOM WAINRIGHT MARTHA KING
VIDEO DOCUMENTATION DEB HEARNE
GRATITUDE TO (AND INSPIRATION FROM) CLARE REDDINGTON HELEN COLE TOM MELAMED BEN CLAYTON KATE YEDIGAROFF MATTHEW AUSTIN JO CUTHBERT
[ IMAGES : MAKING "MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU" ]